Friday, October 15, 2010

The boy who cried wolf... or should I say "CORN ON THE COB!"

Okay, so I've tried this blog thing before, when it was just me and the two pumpkin heads... I failed miserably to post anything. Maybe it was the whole working thing. Now that there are SEVEN of us... well, almost EIGHT, there just seems to be so much to write about. Who knows if anyone will ever actually read this, but I think for me it will be an outlet. Maybe more so a place where I can chronicle the events of our days and be amazed by God's kindness to me and our family.

At this point you (if there are any yous out there) are probably wondering what in the world the title of this post has to do with anything. Well last night at our house was eventful. There was triumph with children and terribly funny moments. I'll start the day off in mid afternoon. I made 3 batches of whole grain pumpkin muffins, which are almost completely gone, and with water bottles packed up, headed to get the older kids from Cartersville. Today was a bit different, because instead of making my rounds of picking up Chandler at one school, Carson and Dylan at another, and Matthias at a third school, I would be doing all of this with the extra bonus of taking all five children with me to a doctor's appointment for Chandler. Long story short, we made it through the appointment with minimal damage done to the office, the car, the children, or my sanity. Then we get home... in a matter of minutes Matthias hits Chandler just because he "felt like it", Dylan jumps on Carson which hurts his nose, so in anger Carson begins punching his sister. At this juncture I had no mental brainpower to deal with this (also since I do not discipline the older kids outside of time outs, discipline for physical violence towards siblings had to wait for daddy). So for the next thirty minutes they all sat in separate parts of the house waiting on daddy to finally get through rush hour (more like hourS) traffic. The plans of having a wonderful pot roast dinner and quiet family time diminished.

Finally daddy arrives home and after his long day begins to sort out the happenings of the afternoon. The first was easy, and Matthias was disciplined accordingly. The second and third were not so easy. Stories began changing. This is where the rubber meets the road in parenting. Weeding through what is actually important and what we actually need to discuss and which things deserve consequences. After multiple times of deliberation between Aaron and I, we came to the conclusion. Carson was honest with his sin and was disciplined accordingly. Dylan on the other hand was honest about what she did, but her story was changing about what Carson did (which he had already admitted to). After more conversation and through tears she finally tells me, "I don't like for people to be mad at me. I don't want Carson to be angry because he got into trouble". So after having her tell him that, and him crying and telling her he wouldn't be mad and that he would always love her, Aaron and I sat in the girl's room with tears in our eyes feeling like there had been a victory. We were patient and diligent, by the grace of God. Their hearts were broken and honest, by the grace of God. We knew, this wasn't OUR victory, but God's victory.

Then there was the boy who cried wolf... the "Coombs version". Daddy thought he would tell the story of the boy who cried wolf at dinner, which was a HORRIBLY inaccurate version of the story. Daddy was getting corrected at ever turn of the story, then as the kids began to listen more intently and daddy builds up to the boy crying wolf, out of nowhere Matthias yells "CORN ON THE COB!". Now we were not eating corn on the cob for dinner, we hadn't discussed it, really, there was no reason for such an outburst... but that's Matthias. We all begin dying laughing. The rest of our night was fun and crazy like usual, but I was keenly aware of God's hand in everything and very thankful for this crazy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment