Monday, June 20, 2011

Fancy free in NYC

There was so much we did on our vacation trip to New York that it will take many posts to cover it all. This was my first trip to New York (except a brief -less than 40 hours- trip a few months ago to see his Omi before she went to be with the Lord) Of course I want to start with my favorite night. The night with no kids! (except baby, but he hardly made a peep) Two nights before we left, my wonderful mother-in-law listened for our kids while we stayed out until 4am running from Manhattan to SoHo. Honestly, we spent most of our time on the subway getting from Long Island to Penn Station to our destinations, but it was an adventure none the less.

waiting for our first subway ride to manhattan



























So the first place we headed was to Manhattan to see the place I have been obsessed with since 2001. I have seen the movie Serendipity close to 200 times... really. I love everything about the movie and knew that when I went to NY I would have to go and see the movie's name sake. I knew it so well from the movie that I could spot it from two blocks away based on the street lamp out front.





I was SO excited to be there... even though it was almost midnight.

The staff was so friendly, even though we entered the shop five minutes before closing. I just had to order their famous frozen hot chocolate... mine was mint chocolate and amazing!

FACT: Jackie Kennedy wanted to buy this recipe to serve at a White House function and the owner said no.

I loved the decor... if I could replicate it without being fearful of six kids breaking anything, I so would.



These two photos are the downstairs portion of the shop where we sat.




This is the upstairs


AND this is the table that John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale sat at and said these lines:
Jonathan: This is the ultimate blend to drink. How'd you find this place?
Sara: I first came in because of the name: Serendipity. It's one of my favorite words.
Jonathan: It is? Why?
Sara: It's such a nice sounding word for what it means: a fortunate accident.
Of course I had to take something home, so I bought this awesome platter that I am so in love with.
Just wondering if I should actually use it for serving or decor...

My husband is truly the best for making sure I got to experience this dream :-)



Next we headed down towards SoHo to see a place he wanted to see... a pub called Mcsorley's. Unfortunately we made it there right as they were closing so he didn't get to have a beer there. He's always putting my wants before his... i was really sad we didn't make it in time.






There did end up being a cool little hat store still open next door called Village Scandal, so we wondered in. We bought a couple of hats that we thought were pretty cool.


All in all, I think this might have been one of the best nights ever!
More NY posts to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment